How does the route planner work in the Nautical Maps mobile app?
The Nautical Maps mobile app allows you to plan your route in three different ways:
- Automatic route planning ahead of your trip
- In the centre of the menu, tap “Routes” and then “Plan a new route”. Take the first option, “Automatic Route (beta)”.
- Move the map until the big blue arrow points at your desired departure location.
- Tap “Choose as starting point”.
- To add stopovers, tap “Intermediate” and move the map so that the arrow points at the desired location. Repeat this step until you have inserted all stopovers.
- Finally, set your destination. Move the map again to point at your desired location. Once you tap “Destination”, the app will automatically calculate your best route based on the boat data you entered.
- Now all you need is a name for your route so you can save it. Or if you prefer, you can start your journey straightaway.
- Manual route planning ahead of your trip
- In the centre of the menu, tap “Routes” and then “Plan a new route”. Take the second option, “Manual Route”.
- Move the map until the big blue arrow points at your desired departure location. Tap “Add”.
- Move the map for each additional point you want to add to the route and tap “Add”.
- Once your route is complete, tap “Done”.
- Now all you need is a name for your route so you can save it. Or you can start driving straightaway if you prefer.
- Simple route planning to a single destination (ideal when you’re already out and about)
- Do you want to go to a location you’ve spotted along the way — for example to refuel or go out to eat? Move the map until you can see your destination.
- Tap on the related symbol (e.g. a bridge, lock or marina). Information about the location will appear at the bottom of the screen. Here you will also find a handy “Route” button.
- If you tap this button, you can choose your departure point in the next step. To do this, move the map until the blue arrow points at your desired starting point. You can also choose your current location.
- Your route will be calculated automatically based on the boat data you entered. Please be aware that this type of route planner does not allow you to plan stopovers.
The automatic route planner is currently still in beta. This means that you might still encounter some teething problems. Please let us know if you find any errors on your route so that we can improve them.