How does the route planner work in the Nautical Maps app?
There are three different ways to plan your route in the Nautical Maps mobile app:
- Automatic route planning before your trip
- At the top of the app, tap the search bar. A new window will come up after this. In this window, select the ‘Plan a route’ option.
- Move the map until the big blue arrow points at your desired departure location.
- Tap “Choose as starting point”.
- To add stopovers, tap “Intermediate” and move the map so that the arrow points at the desired location. Repeat this step until you have added all the stopovers.
- After you have entered your departure location, you will see the route on the map with the alternative routes (if available) shown in grey. You can select an alternative route by tapping the grey line.
- Finally, set your destination. Move the map again until it points at your desired location. Once you tap “Destination”, the app will automatically calculate your best route based on the boat data you entered.
- Now all you need is a name for your route so you can save it. Or if you prefer, you can start your journey straightaway.
- Manual route planning before your trip
- At the top of the app, tap the search bar. A new window will come up after this. In this window, select the ‘Plan route manually’ option.
- Move the map until the big blue arrow points at your desired departure location. Tap “Add”.
- Move the map for each additional point you want to add to the route and tap “Add”.
- Once your route is complete, tap “Done”.
- Now all you need is a name for your route so you can save it. Or you can start driving straightaway.
- Simple route planning to a single destination (ideal when you’re already out)
- This is for those times you want to naviagte to a location you’ve spotted along the way, for example to refuel or go out to eat. Move the map until you can see your destination.
- Tap the related symbol (e.g. a bridge, lock or marina). Information about the location will appear at the bottom of the screen. You’ll also find a handy ‘Route’ button.
- If you tap this button, you can choose your departure point in the next step. To do this, move the map until the blue arrow points at your desired starting point. You can also choose your current location.
- Your route will be calculated automatically based on the boat data you entered. Warning: if you schedule your route this way, you won’t be able to plan stopovers.
The route planner does not take depths into account. Depths can vary from season to season, day to day and even hourly. Nor does the route planner take into account current obstructions. This is because many people plan a route and only want to sail it later. So always check a planned route carefully. Let us know if you find any errors on your route so we can improve it.